Last Updated on
Writing DESCRIPTIONS for YouTube Videos, Importance, Tips and Tricks.
YouTube is one of the largest search engines in the world, more specifically, video search engine. Writing descriptions with keywords can help viewers find your videos more easily through search.
Write Proper Descriptions
Descriptions can convey valuable information that helps viewers find your videos in search results and understand what they’ll be watching. Well-written descriptions with the right keywords can boost views and watch time because they help your video to appear in search results.
How to Write Proper Description?
- Give an overview of your video using natural language – not just a stream of keywords like How to, YouTube, Step-by-Step, etc. Use these in Tags instead.
- Put the most important keywords towards the beginning of your description as this will be visible to the viewers.
- Identify 1–2 main words that describe your video and feature them prominently in both your description and title.
- Use Google Trends and Google Ads Keyword Planner to identify popular keywords and their synonyms. Including these terms can help you to maximise traffic from search.
- Avoid irrelevant words in your description because it creates a poor viewing experience and may violate YouTube policies.
SEE ALSO: How can I increase traffic on my Website or Blog? Here are Practical Tips & Tricks.
Maximize Your Description
The description field is incredibly useful for helping viewers find, learn about and decide if they’d like to watch your videos.
You can think about the description as two parts – what viewers see before they click “Show more” and what they see after. Consider prioritising the first few lines of your description to describe your video because it’s what viewers will see first.
You can add other key information about your channel, metadata and even links to social networks or your website below that so that viewers can learn more.
You can even create a default description that auto-populates key channel information in all of your videos upon upload.
How to Maximize a Better Description?
- Make sure that each video has a unique description; this makes it easier to find through search and helps it stand out from similar videos.
- Use the first few lines of text to explain what the video’s about using search-friendly keywords and natural language.
- Use the rest of the text (which shows up once the viewer clicks Show more) for extra information such as what your channel’s about, social links etc.
Write Attractive & Useful Description
The description field can only display text, but it doesn’t have to be a boring experience. You can add interactive features that could help increase views, highlight collaborations and grow your subscriber base.
Possible actions you can take:
- Use time stamps to help viewers skip to important parts of longer videos.
- Link to playlists of related videos.
- Don’t forget to put the
https://prefix in front of all web addresses to make them clickable.
Using Hashtags in Video’s Description
You can use related hashtags (#) in video descriptions to help viewers find your video when they search for a specific hashtag.
When you upload a video, you can enter hashtags (#techurdu #youtube) in your video’s title or description.
Hashtags in the video description are links that users can click on to go to that hashtag’s search results page to see more videos on that subject.
Adding Hashtags – Important Tips
- Add hashtags in key parts of your description to help viewers find your video.
- Ensure that you only use hashtags related to your video. For example, if you upload a review of a specific mobile do not add hashtags related to different or unrelated popular mobiles, gadgets or unrelated topics to falsely increase views.
- A little goes a long way – try not to saturate your description section with hashtags. YouTube will ignore all hashtags on a video if it has more than 15 hashtags.
- Hashtags are especially great to use with trending content, such as upcoming events or people in the news. This ensures that viewers looking for videos about the trending topic will find a variety of relevant content.
Write Advertise Friendly Descriptions
Advertisers can choose to target videos that contain particular terms and keywords in their titles, descriptions or tags, in order to reach the audiences that they value.
Advertisers can also use terms and keywords to opt-out of content that doesn’t align with their brand. For example, videos that contain profane, controversial or sexually suggestive terms (even if they are being used in a comedic, ironic or otherwise non-offensive context) can result in some advertisers excluding your video from their campaigns.
Advertisers also sometimes opt out of keywords that are not controversial, but on their own may not align with their brand or advertising campaign goals.
Tips to Write Advertise Friendly Descriptions
- Make accurate titles, tags and descriptions – Most importantly, metadata should accurately describe the content of your video.
- Every word matters – Videos that contain profane, controversial or sexually suggestive terms can result in some advertisers excluding your video from their campaigns.
- Words can be taken out of context – Advertisers will often opt out of certain words or phrases – consider how your titles, tags and descriptions can be interpreted.
[VIDEO TUTORIAL ] Writing DESCRIPTIONS for YouTube Videos | How to Get More Views? Importance, Tips&Tricks [Urdu/Hindi]
Note: These strategies are suggestions pulled from our experience with YouTube creators and are not promises or guarantees for success.
READ NEXT: Google Search Tips & Tricks