At its recent quarterly earnings call, Facebook broke analysts’ expectations by announcing two records in the history of Facebook. One record of high profits and blockbuster earnings this week but there was also a more worrisome revelation – the shockingly high number of fake accounts on Facebook’s platform which stands at around 270 million. That means these 270 million of the platform’s 2.1-billion-strong user base could be fraudulent or duplicated — a population verging on the size of the United States.
Facebook upped its estimate of the portion of fake accounts from 2 to 3 percent and the number of duplicates from 6 to 10 percent, Business Insider first reported.
“If one were to create an altogether different country by populating it solely with users behind fake Facebook accounts, it would straight up become the fourth most populous country in the world with Mark Zuckerberg leading it as President”. – Sounds Hilarious yet bothersome.
Top 5 Amazing Facebook Facts
- Number of Fake or Clone Facebook Accounts is Twice the Population of Japan.
- India has overtaken the US to become Facebook’s largest country audience with a total 241 million active users, compared to 240 million in the US. – Source: The Hindu
- The figures also lay bare the Facebook’s gender imbalance in India as men still represent three-quarters of the active Facebook profiles. In contrast, in the US, 54% of the platform’s active users were women. – Source: The Hindu
- More than half of India’s Facebook users were below the age of 25. – Source: The Hindu
- Two billion makes Facebook the largest social app in terms of logged-in users, above YouTube’s 1.5 billion, WeChat’s 889 million, Twitter’s 328 million and Snapchat’s estimated 255 million (extrapolated from its December 2015 ratio when it had 110 million daily and 170 million monthly users). Beyond YouTube, only Facebook’s other apps have more than 1 billion, including WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger, with 1.2 billion each. Instagram might soon join that club as it recently rocketed past 700 million. – Source: TechCrunch